Monday, May 8, 2000

The Lord’s Prayer

In the "New Covenant" made by our Creator God with humanity, as reported in Jeremiah 31:31-34, every human being can know God from within - because the Holy Spirit is revealing our Creator to all who are willing to know the Lord and trust in Him. We can still help each other along the way; so may you be pleased to find here a variety of helps to the life of faith in God through Jesus Christ. G.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Lord’s Prayer

As I pray “Our” the Holy Spirit slowly expands my faith to make room for others and their need.

As I pray “Father” the One who created me draws me, by his Holy Spirit, to Jesus who draws me into this relationship to God in my daily living.

As I pray “who art in Heaven” the Holy Spirit slowly expands my interests and pursuits beyond earthly things to heavenly things.

As I pray “hallowed be thy name” the Holy Spirit draws me into Jesus' heart, mind, and spirit, where the Lord teaches me to rely on God’s help to be holy.

As I pray “thy kingdom come” Jesus draws me into his own heart, mind, and spirit, where He teaches me to desire, like Him, God’s rule in my life.

As I pray “thy will be done” Jesus gently teaches me to desire, like Him, willing and joyful, having the Father's will in my life.

As I pray “on earth as it is in Heaven” the Holy Trinity expands and deepens my spirit and my will to become ready to give myself to God’s service here and now.

As I pray “give us this day our daily bread” the Holy Trinity expands and deepens my desire for the "Bread of Life", teaches me to appreciate the priceless value of my life and all life, softening my heart to not withhold from my neighbor what I receive so freely from God. 

As I pray “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” God reveals to me that the gate of my heart cannot be open to receive forgiveness when I close it to withold forgiveness from my neighbor or continue to harbor a grudge against anyone.

As I pray “lead us not into temptation” God reveals to me the danger if I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.

As I pray “deliver us from evil” God reminds me that evil is real and that, like Jesus, I am called to resist and fight evil with my life and my prayer.

(Luke 11:2-4 does not have the following doxology, nor do the oldest versions of Matthew 6:9-13. However it does appear in the Didaché and in later versions of Matthew. In the Roman Catholic Sacred Liturgy it is included after the "Embolism" prayer for deliverance from evil.)

As I pray “for the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours” God forms to me freely choose to obey the King, and to seek the glory of God rather than my own.

As I pray “forever and ever” God forms me dwell in his peace and refrain from allowing myself to be anxious about each day’s affairs.

As I pray “Amen” with Jesus I say “Not my will, but your will be done; so let it be”.

“And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words.  Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.”  Matthew 6:7-8

Pray for others.  Prayer is one of the best free gifts we can receive and give.  There is little or no cost, but a lot of rewards.  Let’s continue praying for one another.

Source unknown.


----------------------------------------------------------------

In the "New Covenant" made by our Creator God with humanity, as reported in Jeremiah 31:31-34, every human being can know God from within - because the Holy Spirit is revealing our Creator to all who are willing to know the Lord and trust in Him. We can still help each other along the way; so may you be pleased to find here a variety of helps to the life of faith in God through Jesus Christ. G.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------

© 2006-2021 All rights reserved Fr. Gilles Surprenant, Associate Priest of Madonna House Apostolate & Poustinik, Montreal  QC
© 2006-2021 Tous droits réservés Abbé Gilles Surprenant, Prêtre Associé de Madonna House Apostolate & Poustinik, Montréal QC
 

+ + + + + + + + + + + +  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seminar / Workshop on God - "Introduction to Prayer" - Marriage Preparation Course "From This Day Forward" - Saturday, April 13th, 2024 at St. Thomas à Becket Parish - Marriage is a great adventure for LIFE! Workshop Seminar 07.6

In the "New Covenant" made by our Creator God with humanity, as reported in Jeremiah 31:31-34, every human being can know God from...